Wellspring Farm


Farm Stories

Who We AreLlamas, Shearing ServicesSheep for SaleFarm Visits and DirectionsSpecial EventsFarm StoriesFarm Shop, Wellspring Farm Fiber Shares


Tabitha the Tunis
First lamb of 2011
The tunis was not expected to deliver until March, but the morning of Feb 10 after a cold and snowy night I discovered a tiny newborn ewe lamb in the sheep shed.  Since there was a jacob ewe standing near her I was confused as to how I had gotten a solid colored lamb!  Since mom was a first time mom and relatively new to the flock, so still shy, she was standing at the back of the shed.  I moved mom and baby to the warm barn, and made them comfortable.  When I checked mom I found that she did not have a fully developed udder.  I took the little lamb into the house, bundled her in a warm towel and placed her in a market basket to warm her up.  Fortunately I could get the little one to drink from a bottle and once she was warmed up, had a full belly, dressed in a stylish pulover made from the cut off sleeve of an old sweatshirt, I put her back with mom.  She survived the next chilly night and I continued to bottle feed her, while milking what little milk I could from mom.  Then on the fourth day Tabitha began to nurse off her mom. She loves to sleep on her moms wide and wooly back, nurses from mom and gets a supplemental bottle every evening.  When she was ten days old she visited with a childrens choir at a local church, and handled it like a pro.  But then again, don't all lambs ride in Subaru's, wear sweatshirts and have two mommy's?




It was another cold and windy day towards the end of January 2010, just before nightfall when I trudged back up to the barn to check on the animals one last time.  When I opened the gate I saw all the llamas in a huddle looking over to Dolly the alpaca who was standing over something dark on the ground. I ran to Dolly and found her newborn on the ground freezing to death.There was only one thing to do.  I scooped the little guy up and put him inside my barn jacket and headed for the house.  Fortunately Ted had just come home from work.  His query as to what was for dinner was greeted with "we have to warm up a baby".  The little alpaca was so cold his ear tips had frozen together,his jaws were clenched shut, his legs were stiff and he was making gurgling noises in his throat. After an hour of vigorous towel rubbing, heaters and probiotics and with some help from us he was on his feet.  I headed back to the barn, and put Dolly into a warm stall.  When I got back to the house Ted had the little guy standing on his own and he was humming and smacking his lips.   A very, very good thing.  Now the only worry was reuniting him with his mom.  We needn't have worried.  Dolly greeted her newborn with hums and nudges, rubbing her head against his, and checking him from head to toe. 





Alongwith the ever popular question "do they spit?" we are asked "what do we do with llamas".  At Wellspring Farm we use their fiber for felting and spun yarn, we hike with them, they help protect our sheep flock, we compete (for fun) in llama shows, we breed and train, we hold Open Houses.   What would you like to do with llamas?